Subscribe Now for Updates

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Am Finbar


I bet every child in America brought home (along with two reusable bags full of leftover classroom crap) a “memory book” on their last day of school.  If your child didn’t do a memory book, you are missing out on some voyeurism and good laughs and should demand one next year.  While perusing Finbar’s 2nd grade memory book today, I found a few pages that spoke volumes about his self image including his self portrait at the beginning of the year shown here
 (he didn’t own black shoes or gray shorts so I am not sure who he drew?? And is that a desk or a Clone Wars Atat?)

and his “The Best Part of Me” essay stating in no uncertain terms that “The best part of me is my brain.” The crowning jewel however was his “I Am Poem” where he had to fill in blanks to complete prompts to write about himself. What he filled in is underlined in the poem below. While other kids wrote about seeing puffy clouds in the sky and dreaming about world peace, Finbar chose a more straightforward approach.
 
I Am Poem by Finbar 

I wonder… constantly.

I hear… through both ears.

I see… through both eyes.          (fine examples of literal Aspergerian thinking)

I want…to be a pilot.

I am… Finbar.       (yes you are)

 

I pretend…that I am a pilot.

I feel…everything.

I touch…everything.       (easy there bud)

I worry… about nothing.      (except where your Nintendo 3DS is every morning)

I cry…never.       (except when you need to get your younger brother in trouble)

I am…Finbar.     (yup)

 

I understand…almost everything     (my personal fave).

I say…everything in a nice way.        (err, unless you are  speaking to your mother)

I dream…awesome dreams.

I try…to get better at bowling.          (what? Not school??)

I hope…I get to do Apple Valley Days.

I am..Finbar.             (Indeed you are)

 
I think I made a good choice signing him up for Lindamood Bell’s Creative Writing tutoring next fall…

6 comments:

Buster Crab and Pistol Pete said...

I am....amazed by Finbar's Mom. You are incredible. Don't forget that.

finbarsmom said...

Buster Crab, do I know you? I don't care, I LOVE your comments! Please tell my son! xo

Rebecca Royce said...

So incredibly awesome. We don't have a memory book. Austin made a powerpoint presentation where he spoke to the camera all year. Its classic. But I LOVE that poem.

Melissa Keir said...

As a teacher I think it's important for parents to get these mementos of their child's year. I always tell my students that I kept my own children's writing journals and memory books. They are priceless, esp. upon their high school graduation!

Sharon M. said...

Just discovered your blog and am going back to 2010, to read from the start. I love your insights. I work in special ed. at an elementary school,have friends with kids possibly on the spectrum, and my own grown son diagnosed with ADHD, maybe bipolar, or asperger, or ODD. they never figured that second one out. Anyway, I can really relate to your posts.
You have a way with words.

finbarsmom said...

Sharon, I truly appreciate your input as a parent and sped teacher. THANK YOU and happy reading!