Subscribe Now for Updates

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Aloha


We’ve been in Hawaii for a week. That explains my absence from blogging, ‘nuf said.  A doctor once told me regarding my son’s autistic perseverations, “They really rule the roost don’t they?”  Indeed, they do.  This Hawaii trip is proof in the pudding.  For two years Finbar has been insisting that we visit a Hawaiian volcano, as if our lives and happiness depended on it (his certainly did), or as if somehow I was denying him his bucket list if I didn’t book a trip yesterday already.   As I type I am in a rental home situated inside the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park.  That’s right, I caved.  I often console myself regarding Finbar’s perseverance and my succumbing to it by telling myself that he will make a great lawyer or salesperson someday.  I’m not sure which one is worse, but as long as he makes $$ and buys me a nice house for retirement in Hawaii where he can visit me and the volcanoes anytime he wants, I'm OK with his talents.  Luckily with this “sale” I am not yet experiencing any buyer’s remorse. But that might be about to change.
Flying over Active Volcano

Asperger types become obsessed with a variety of topics. For Finbar, volcanoes are one such topic.  All things flying are an obsession as well. So what better to feed those obsessions than a helicopter ride over the currently erupting volcano (Hail Mary full of grace, sign of cross)? We are scheduled to do that in 2 hours. Don’t ask how much it costs, but take it from me he really IS a great salesperson and I wish he could take a commission on what we paid for this, err, life changing experience.  Doesn’t matter I tell myself, he rules the roost.  We can check it off his bucket list, mine, Dad’s and little brother’s, too. That is, if we survive :0

 

1 comment:

Lauren Bradley said...

You are BRAVE! I know Hawaiians that refuse to get in helicopters. You certainly live it up, that's for sure.