Subscribe Now for Updates

Saturday, October 16, 2010

I live with Dory



I live with Dory from the movie Finding Nemo, you know the fish that had no short term memory.  Only thing is, instead of Ellen DeGeneres' voice, she has Finbar's.

Here is a sample of   "conversation" that occurs with my son on a daily, hourly basis.

Finbar:  "Mom, how many months until my birthday?"
Me:  "Remember we talked about this yesterday, you know the answer."
Finbar: "huh? well, uh, can you tell me again, I don't remember."
Me: (tensing up because this is the umpteenth conversation we've had like this)  "OK, RU listening carefully to my answer because I am only going to say it once?"
Finbar: ( has momentarily spaced out):   "uh, what did you say? .. uh, yes I'm listening."
Me:  "Your birthday is in 2 months...  So how many months is it until your birthday Finney?"
Finbar: "uh, 2 months. (pause)  But did you say 2 months mom?"
Me: "Yes."
Finbar:  "But how many days is 2 months mom?"
Me:  "I don't know Finney, about 60."
Finbar:   "60 days mom?"
Me:   "yes finney, 60 days."
Finbar:    "But are you SURE 2 months is 60 days mom?"
Me:  "Yes, I'm sure 2 months is 60 days."
Finbar:  "So my birthday is in 60 days?"
Me:   "YES Finney."
Finbar:  "So 60 days is 2 months mom? My birthday is in 2 months?  That's 60 days right?"
Me:   "That's what I said Finney. So how many months until your birthday?"
Finbar:   "Uh, did you say two months mom? You said 2 months right?"
Me: "Yes Finney."
Finbar:   "Oh. And two months is 60 days, right mom, right? My birthday is in 60 days then? "
Me:  "YES FINNEY. NOW STOP TALKING ABOUT IT PLEASE."
Finbar:   "Oh, OK mom. (pause) Mom, my birthday is in 2 months."
Me:   'YES. STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. MOVE ON."
Finbar: (a little quieter now) "Mom, my birthday is in two months"
Me:  (silence)
Finbar: "Mom, my birthday is in two months"
Me: (silence) 
Finbar:  "Mom, my birthday is in two months. Mom, why aren't you answering me mom? mom? MOM!"
Me: (blood boiling now):  "BECAUSE I ALREADY DID. YOUR BIRTHDAY IS IN 2 MONTHS FINBAR, NOW STOP TALKING ABOUT IT OR GO TO YOUR ROOM UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. "
Finbar:    "I'm ready mom.  Why do you always get mad at me? I was JUST asking a QUESTION."
 Me: (in my head) "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim, swim. ...are you my conscience?". - Dory

There is much research surrounding the link between Autism and Alzheimers.  Some liken Autism to the Alzheimers of children.  Both appear to be caused by brain inflammation.  We will be seeing a neurologist about this very soon.

No comments: